The project aims to develop the concept of circular economy applied to a production plant of FCA Italy, finalizing it to the materials of the non-metallic components of the motor vehicle. The intent is to develop and apply recycled thermoplastic materials in the automotive sector from both factory waste and end of life.
The objective is to recycle 100% of internal waste and use up to 100% ennobled plastics on non-aesthetic interior components (such as air ducts) and external components (such as bumpers and skid plates).
The research activities will cover three main strands:
• Recovery of waste and production waste, re-granulation with possible regeneration and subsequent:
- internal re-use of the plant in the molding of new vehicle components, ensuring in any case the required performance;
- set up of external recycling as a by-product or end of waste (cessation of the qualification of waste) and therefore reduction of the waste produced by the establishment and valorization of materials.
• Separation and recycling of some streams of non-metallic material from end-of-life vehicles (ELV) and energy recovery of non-metallic residues (fluff) obtained from the crushing of vehicles and which are currently transferred for the most part to landfills.
• Characterization of energy and material flows. The intent is to identify a methodology for the characterization of energy and material flows, necessary for the production process of the automotive sector, in order to optimize the flows themselves and reduce consumption.
MISE – FONDO CRESCITA SOSTENIBILE - HORIZON 2020 CALL